Historic Crab Orchard Museum & Pioneer Park relies on a strong volunteer base to work with our staff during events, educational programs, tours, and office hours. Skills of all kinds are needed, and our volunteer roster includes community members from all walks of life, and ranging from teenagers to seniors.
Volunteers are recognized in our quarterly newsletter, and we organize an annual luncheon or picnic to help establish new friendships among volunteers and the staff. After serving a specified number of hours, volunteers enjoy most of the benefits of members — including museum shop discounts.
Among our needs:
- Gift Shop and Front Desk staff.
- Carpentry, cabinetmaking, exhibit fabrication, and maintenance of the Pioneer Park buildings.
- Tour guides, crafts demonstrators, and costumed “living history” interpreters.
- Data management, filing, etc.
- Fundraising support (grant writing, direct contact with businesses, etc.)
- Curatorial support
- Research projects
- Event support as needed — for a list of our events, click here.
Please contact Joan Yates at jyates@craborchardmuseum or 276.988.6755 if you are interested in becoming a Museum volunteer.
The Museum is always looking for college or post-graduate interns to provide research, educational, development, curatorial, and administrative support. Though our internships are unpaid, interns come away with valuable experience in relevant fields of interest, as well as hands-on experience working in a small nonprofit environment. For more information on interning at Crab Orchard Museum, please contact Executive Director Charlotte Whitted at email@example.com or 276.988.6755.